I know the real reason for the season...and you know...but do our kids know? It is so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of Christmastime...decorating the tree, the house, the gingerbread house, buying presents, drinking hot chocolate, listening to Christmas carols. And believe me...we do ALL of those things at my house, however, I want to do more. I want to start teaching Maggie at the early ol age of 1, the real reason for the season!! As she gets older, I want her to count down the days to Jesus' birthday. Not the day she gets to open presents, or the day that Santa comes, but Jesus' birthday. I love the idea of the Little People Nativity scene. Amanda gave Maggie one for Christmas this year and she loves it already. However, she isn't too gentle with baby Jesus yet. We're working on that:) I immediately went out and bought a childrens book on the Christmas story, and read Maggie all about Mary and Joseph and baby Jesus. Now Maggie had no idea what in the world I was talking about, but I will bring out the nativity scene each year and read that story until she does understand. I think as parents, our biggest fear is that our children will not grow up to know and love Christ as their heavenly father like we do. We have a BIG responsibility, so how do we do it? What are special things you do with your kids and your family to teach them the real reason for the season? I would love to hear! I need all the help and ideas I can get!!



We will have a birthday party for Jesus, probably on Christmas Eve. Also, Kenadie loves ALL of Miss Patty Cake's dvd's and she has a Christmas one that we like to watch during the Christmas season. You can get it at Lifeway. I've been teaching her Christmas songs, Christmas hymns I guess they would be :) Very sweet to hear her sing Away In A Manger :)
ReplyDeleteWe have a nativity set, too. Jackson calls Mary "Mommy Jesus" and Joseph "Daddy Jesus". I don't really have any tips because I just read to Jackson and try to explain it to him the best way I know how. I'm sure you're doing a GREAT job :)
ReplyDeleteSo sweet. And so true... every word!
ReplyDelete