Ok...did anyone put themselves? I know I sure didn't. I had Maggie, Brian, God, My Job, and household chores (cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, etc) written down, but not in that order. In a room full of 30 women, not one of us put ourselves on this list of priorities. Now it is a proven fact that women are more overweight than men, women are more depressed than men, and women are more stressed out than men. This is because on our long list of life's priorities, we consistently put ourself last. If I would have had a sixth spot, it would have been Sadie. Our challenge this week was to find one hour a day to spend doing something you enjoy and having "me" time. Our challenge was to make this "me" time a priority. Now this could be to phone an old friend, to go shopping, to take a nice long bubble bath, work out, etc. You see, ever since I had Maggie I have really struggled to find "me" time. Now I love my Maggie time, don't get me wrong!!! But sometimes women give so much of themselves that they lose who they are and who they want to be. So....I got home and was excited to share this idea with Brian. He immediately said, "who came first on your list, me or maggie?" ha! You can guess the answer to that question. Anyway...we decided for one hour every night , Brian would take Maggie so I could get on the elliptical and then take a nice long shower. Maybe even one long enough to shave my legs! That is how I choose right now to spend my "me" time. Of course, life happens though. He had a meeting after work last night and didn't get home until 9. Then tonight he has tennis practice. So as you can tell, this is definitely a work in progress, but I am really trying hard to add myself to that list of priorities. Now I will never be #1, but I should be in the top 5, right? Before kids and marriage this would have been no problem! Its not selfish. It will actually make you a happier person, which makes you a nicer wife and a better mother. I challenge you all to get some "you" time this week. Its good for your soul!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I was little my mom used to say she needed some "Suzanne" time. I never understood that as a child, but boy do I now. Once I put Ford to sleep at night I usually check my e-mail, stalk some blogs (yours tonight!) and take a shower. I think it's important for us mommie's to spend some time doing things for ourselves. I can guarantee you I wouldn't have put myself on the list either!
ReplyDeleteInteresting, very interesting concept there. I will have to mull over that and see if I can come up with what I want to do... I mean come up with what I want to do FIRST!
ReplyDeleteYou know you have a babysitter right down the street ANYTIME :) I would love some "Maggie" time while you have your "Mommy" time.
ReplyDeleteWell said Kimberly! It's so hard to find a good balance when you have a baby. And I PROMISE the day will come when you can relax in the shower AND shave your legs! I promise the day will come!
ReplyDelete